Direct 713 490 3051
Fax 713 652 3057
Email Laina Miller
- J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 2002 (Associate Editor, Vanderbilt Law Review)
- B.A. (with high honors), Plan II and English, The University of Texas at Austin Plan II Honors Program, 1999 (Phi Beta Kappa)
- Judicial Clerk, Hon. John D. Rainey, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas, 2002-2004
Laina Miller focuses her practice on litigation and arbitration of a wide range of matters. Ms. Miller has extensive experience representing companies and individuals in complex commercial, energy, employment, healthcare, and catastrophic personal injury cases. Integrally involved in case strategy and development from start to conclusion, Ms. Miller has mastered the art of focusing on the details while keeping clients' goals clearly in sight.
Ms. Miller has additionally developed significant expertise in the area of electronic discovery and helps to develop thorough yet cost-effective plans for the discovery of electronic information in the firm’s cases.
An aspect of her practice at Shipley Snell that Ms. Miller finds particularly rewarding is the opportunity to collaborate with a team of exceptional colleagues to effectively and strategically prepare cases to be tried or resolved.
- Achieved a defense verdict on behalf of a petroleum refining company in a complex commercial dispute with a demolition contractor.
- Represented an oil and gas exploration company and operator in a dispute with working interest owners arising out of joint venture audits.
- Represented a midstream energy company that provides infrastructure for natural gas transport in a lawsuit arising out of contracts for natural gas and condensate products.
- Represented an inland towing and tank barge operator in a lawsuit arising out of a maritime collision and resulting oil spill.
- Represented numerous physicians and medical practices in disputes regarding physician employment contracts and non-compete agreements.
- Represented a national bank in a suit to recover on a substantial business loan and achieved dismissal of the debtor's fraud and unfair debt collection counterclaims.
- Achieved dismissal of wage claims brought against a petroleum refining company by former contractors.
- Achieved a defense verdict on behalf of an electric utility company whose power lines and poles were alleged to have severely injured a telecommunications contractor.
- Defended an electric utility company against burn injury claims arising out of an underground vault fire.
- Defended a petroleum refining company against contractors’ claims for burn injuries allegedly sustained in refinery fires.
- Represented a general contractor in an insurance coverage dispute arising out of damages caused by Hurricane Ike and involving a key issue of first impression.
- Represented a family trust in securities litigation against a commercial real estate finance company and a title and escrow company for “aider and abettor” liability under the Texas Securities Act and statutory fraud, arising out of commercial real estate 1031 exchange and tenant in common investment.
- Represented a municipality in a case against a manufacturer of self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) equipment purchased for fire department use.
- Represented employees in a lawsuit concerning validity and alleged violations of non-compete agreements.
- Defended an oil and gas rig manufacturer against a competitor’s claims of alleged trademark infringement and trade secret misappropriation.
- Defended a personnel staffing company against business competition claims concerning the hiring of competitor’s former employee.
- Represented an electric transmission and distribution utility company in multiple cases involving alleged damage to telecommunications equipment and alleged personal injuries.
- Represented an energy company in numerous lawsuits arising out of alleged groundwater and soil contamination.
- Represented an executive in arbitration against a former employer involving an employment agreement and defamation claims.
- Defended an international law firm in multiple cases involving claims of legal malpractice and fraud in connection with the firm’s opinions regarding tax-advantaged investment strategies.
- Defended a commercial designer of regenerator cyclones used in the oil refining process against a purchaser’s products liability, breach of contract, breach of warranty, and negligence claims.
- Represented a major railroad company in multiple cases for recovery of environmental remediation costs.
- Defended a major railroad company in cases involving injuries allegedly caused by environmental contamination.
- Represented a medical imaging company in various business, contractual, and leasing disputes.
- Represented a local private school in multiple contractual disputes.
- Achieved a jury verdict in Montgomery County, Texas District Court that was nearly nine times the pre-trial settlement offer for a plaintiff who suffered severe spinal injuries as a result of the defendant’s negligence.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- “It’s All Geek to Me: What Every Litigator Should Know About E-Discovery When Practicing in Texas State Court,” HBA Litigation Section, Jan. 12, 2012
- “Use of Social Networking Sites in Litigation," Commercial Litigation Monitor, 2010
- “Proving an Employer’s Intent: Disparate Treatment Discrimination and the Stray Remarks Doctrine After Reeves v. Sanderson Plumbing Products,” 55 Vand. L. Rev. 219 (2002)
- "Defrauded Securities Investors May Have Recourse Against Aiders and Abettors Under the Texas Securities Act"
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named as a "Texas SuperLawyer Rising Star," (a Thomson Reuters service) 2014-2017
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Houston Young Lawyers Foundation, Fellow
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, Past Co-Chair, Law Day Committee
- Houston Young Lawyers Foundation, Past Trustee and Vice-Chair of the
- Board of Trustees
- Main Street Theater Board Member