Chemicals & Petrochemicals
Shipley Snell has been representing chemical and petrochemical companies since the firm’s inception. Our lawyers understand the complexity of the chemical industry and its interplay with refining, marketing, the larger energy industry, natural resource management, and other industries, such as transportation, retail, and construction.
Our experience includes:
- Represented a global petrochemical company in AAA arbitration, negotiations, and ultimate workout/restructuring concerning long-term loan financing, insolvency, technology, indemnification, and operational issues regarding a three-party partnership in a world-scale petrochemical processing facility.
- Successfully defeated plaintiff’s claims and won $121 million in counterclaims for a petrochemical company in AAA arbitration arising from a dispute with a joint venture partner over a propylene/styrene manufacturing facility.
- Successfully defended a $170 million valuation dispute for a petrochemical joint venture partner in AAA arbitration regarding a styrene/propylene oxide manufacturing facility and related operating and offtake agreements.
- Defended a joint venture of energy and petrochemical companies against a contractor’s claims, alleged to be in excess of $60 million for additional costs.
- Represented refineries and petrochemical facilities in connection with catastrophic explosions and other events, including assisting with the company’s initial response to OSHA, EPA, and other government investigations, and representing the company in litigation with governmental agencies, insurance companies, contractors, and personal injury claimants.